sent 5/22/13 Facebook; Pew research: What teens said about social media, privacy, and online identity

Subject: Facebook: Pew research: What teens said about social media, privacy, and online identity

1. A couple of days ago I received a lovely and much-appreciated comment that I want to share now.  The topic of Facebook keeps coming up.  Please understand that the main point for you is my response to Anon, which I also quote below.  It is information that you might as well have about me.  It might answer a question or two.

Anon: I sure do wish you would get a facebook, page...WE, need more people like YOU on there. It is a great place for political "sharing" YOU, wouldn't have to use your real name if you didn't want too. Just create a "dummy" email and assume and identity and there you have your page...none the wiser and "word" will get around and the "shares" will begin.
Just a thought.
take care
<Anon>

LAS: Dear <Anon>,

I do not know that I have mentioned this to you before: As part of my varied past, I put in several years as one of the moderators of a succession of on line forums that went up to 10,000 members.  The members were mostly silent, but not all.  I developed some strong friendships.  The moderators' main jobs were a) to make sure that everyone who posted and whose post remained public got some sort of public response that was friendly and to the point and b) to bar or quickly remove posts that crossed our line as being outside of a common understanding of what civility is and explaining that privately to the poster with no public uproar.

Those forums are now part of history.  But the experience remains.  I do not want to have a tiger by the tail like that again if I can avoid it.  I no longer want to deal with responding to public comments, despite the fact that I am capable of doing it as a full time job, if I wanted a full time job.

<Anon>, I truly appreciate your encouragement.  Thank you!  (And you're most welcome. :)

Larry
2. This is a Pew Research Center report that I happened upon today.  I leave it to speak for itself, without adding anything.  Seriously I have no suggestions about you posting on Facebook or not.  Some like it, some don't. 
I suggest you read the bottom of the page, "about the focus groups" first, to give you the picture of what Pew did before you read all the interesting things that people said.
http://www.pewinternet.org/Commentary/2013/May/Focus-group-highlights.aspx

Larry