sent 6/21/14 whistleblowers: June 19th Julian Assange exiled in a London Embassy; (video) Glenn Greenwald defends

Subject: whistleblowers: June 19th Julian Assange exiled in a London Embassy; (video) Glenn Greenwald defends himself and Edward Snowden

1. "How WikiLeaks opened our eyes to the illusion of freedom," The Guardian, June 19, 2014, by Slavoj Žižek (Wikipedia link)

2. "‘That is total bullsh*t!’: Glenn Greenwald and Iraq War vet square off on Snowden leaks (video)"  Real Time with Bill Maher, June 20, 2014 (7min, great)  Note the audience reactions to Glenn Greenwald's statements, like "When people in power operate in the dark they tend to abuse that power..... That is the purpose of journalism, to provide a check on those with real power..... [The 1st Amendment] wasn't about [journalists], it was a tool to let citizens work against the government, work against people in power, using tools like the printing press, using all kinds of tools..... Is the problem that there is too much secrecy, or is it that there is too much transparency?  I think there is agreement across the political spectrum that there is too much secrecy."

Glenn Greenwald has published a book this year that I don't think I've mentioned so far, No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State (May 13, 2014).  It starts with his first encounter with Edward Snowden.  The book has had great reviews and reception, starting with Amazon Best Book of the Month, May 2014 and going up from there.  First review: "It is 4 AM and I have just finished reading, in one sitting, the Kindle download of a book that I only intended to skim because I thought that I knew the full story. What was compelling was encountering the courage and decency of this whistleblower and that of the few brave journalists willing to honestly tell his story. That and the justifiable contempt for those in the housebroken media and compromised government who felt the need to besmirch the character of those willing to bear witness to crimes that almost everyone else in a position to know chose to ignore...."

Here are two previous messages I've sent you on Glenn Greenwald/Edward Snowden and one with Julian Assange:
http://larryatblogspot.blogspot.com/2014/05/sent-5614-greenwald-vs-nsas-hayden.html
http://larryatblogspot.blogspot.com/2014/06/sent-21014-please-spend-bit-of-time.html
http://larryatblogspot.blogspot.com/2014/06/sent-april-6-2012-half-hour-assange.html

love,
Larry
--
Larry at Blogspot "undisclosed recipients" email message archive, no logging in, no public comments
"One of the ways I think about integrity is that one is willing to confront the truth even when it may cause narcissistic injury – i.e. even when it might burst the bubble of a cherished idealistic illusion we have about ourselves or the world."--Hanu Man Ji January 25th, 2011