sent 3/18/14 HELP SHARE THE FACT THAT global warming is NOT in dispute http://whatweknow.aaas.org/

Note added July 2, 2014: There has been much news on climate change/disaster since I sent this message on March 18th.  Please see this message (link) for links to more recent updates.
====================
Subject: HELP SHARE THE FACT THAT global warming is NOT in dispute http://whatweknow.aaas.org/

Scientists are 97 percent in agreement.  Not 50 percent, not 75 percent--97 percent.  It is simply astonishing according to fairly recent polls I've seen by major companies, that not everyone knows the consensus is 97 percent, that so many people--more than half as I recall--seem still to have the impression that there is some scientific dispute.  Yeah, yeah, I know that the fact that much of the media is paid by the Koch Brothers and others in the humongous fossil fuels business to lie about there being NO DISPUTE.  But I like to think we might be able to help people get past the lying Koch Brothers.

But this is not about personalities.

One friend keeps complaining about the scientists telling us what's going on without telling us exactly what to do about it.
"As scientists," the statement by the [AAAS]* says, "it is not our role to tell people what they should do or must believe about the rising threat of climate change. But we consider it to be our responsibility as professionals to ensure, to the best of our ability, that people understand what we know: human-caused climate change is happening, we face risks of abrupt, unpredictable and potentially irreversible changes, and responding now will lower the risk and cost of taking action."
I do not know exactly what to do either.  Except I believe that I and all of us can help by getting the word out TO EVERYBODY WITH A BRAIN that scientists are 97 percent in agreement that there's BIG man (and woman)-made problem (link, read).  And if everyone understands this then there might be a greater likelihood that more people will help figure some things out.

There are videos at http://whatweknow.aaas.org/ and some at http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2014/03/18-1 also, one at the top and five at the bottom, all short.

PLEASE HELP WHENEVER YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SPEAK UP.

If everyone understands that the scientific consensus on global warming being both terribly serious AND man (and woman)-made then there might be a greater likelihood that more people will help figure some things out.

Thank you.

Larry
* The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is the world’s largest non-government general science membership organization and the executive publisher of Science, a leading scientific journal. Its mission is “advance science for the benefit of all people.” Its goals include providing a voice for science on societal issues and promoting the responsible use of science in public policy. There may be no more pressing issue intersecting science and society than climate change and the What We Know initiative was born in response to that reality.
-- http://whatweknow.aaas.org/