sent 5/3-5/5-5/8-5/14-5/16/14 Piketty book video 20min42sec...there's a harshness now change your mind now! Both Marxism AND capitalism are WRONG

Subject: Piketty book video 20min42sec...there's a harshness now change your mind now! Both Marxism AND capitalism are WRONG
http://www.upworthy.com/what-the-1-dont-want-you-to-know

This video is really well done.  I know, I know, I can be demanding, but do please set aside the necessary 20min42sec somehow.  One needs to listen all the way though and NOT assume that one has got it after 20 seconds.  That would not be the case.

Larry

--------(this one is newer than the one above) Original Message --------
Subject: more on class warfare, more on the discussion of Thomas Piketty's best seller, #1/#2
Date:     Fri, 16 May 2014 19:09:26 -0400
From:     Larry Scott
 "A Looming Gilded Age: Capital, Affluence & Influence," by David Brin, May14, 2014
http://davidbrin.blogspot.com/2014/05/a-looming-gilded-age-capital-affluence.html
Of particular interest in the article are some of the reactions to the book from the so-called "right wing."  But that is far from all.  The hyperlinks are interesting.

I will probably add this into http://larryatblogspot.blogspot.com/2014/05/sent-53-55-5814-piketty-book-video.html , where I have collected some recent things that I have sent you about the book.  It is still listed as number 2 in sales at Amazon even though it is out of stock still or again.  But you can read some of the reviews there if you haven't already.  There are 402 reviews at the moment.

I refer you also to my one and only previous message that has had "class warfare" in its title:
http://larryatblogspot.blogspot.com/2014/04/sent-42314-on-class-warfare.html

Larry

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:     "the working class gives up on it" Re: Piketty book video 20min42sec...there's a harshness now change your mind now! Both Marxism AND capitalism are WRONG
Date:     Wed, 14 May 2014 16:40:47 -0400
From:     Larry Scott

This is a new and highly recommended article about the Thomas Piketty book that is raging in America, the one about inequality inevitably rising to infinity.  See more about that in previous messages below.
"Thomas Piketty and His Critics," by Columbia University Professor Thomas B. Edsall
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/opinion/edsall-thomas-piketty-and-his-critics.html

The subject line comes from Professor Edsall's reporting of critics saying that Piketty is too pessimistic, that pessimism leads to inaction, and inaction is just what we don't want, so they "give up on" Piketty's book.  I'm sure many are inclined to agree with that whether or not Piketty is actually right in his pessimism.  Partly this is to point out that action against inequality at least in particular spots remains a possibility.

But that is only one of the many interesting things to be found in this article by a scholar who has been paying attention.

Larry


On 5/8/2014 2:02 PM, Larry Scott wrote:
[now archived for easier sharing at http://larryatblogspot.blogspot.com/2014/05/sent-53-55-5814-piketty-book-video.html ]
Subject: Piketty book video 20min42sec...there's a harshness now change your mind now! Both Marxism AND capitalism are WRONG
http://www.upworthy.com/what-the-1-dont-want-you-to-know

This video is really well done.  I know, I know, I can be demanding, but do please set aside the necessary 20min42sec somehow.  One needs to listen all the way though and NOT assume that one has got it after 20 seconds.  That would not be the case.

Larry

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:     more weight; change your mind now! Both Marxism AND capitalism are WRONG
Date:     Mon, 05 May 2014 22:26:34 -0400
From:     Larry Scott
This is in the May 8, 2014 issue of the highly respected The New York Review of Books, not to be confused with The New York Times Book Review.  I imagine that the venerable Professor Paul Krugman is writing on the topic of Thomas Piketty's already famous book Capital in the Twenty-First Century (March 10, 2014) by their invitation.  Also for weight, this does seem a rather heavy article. :-7  I haven't finished it (yet).  If you haven't read the previous (April 12, 2014) article I sent you on Thomas Piketty, by Professor Andrew Hussey, Dean of the University of London Institute in Paris, then I would read the earlier one first, to get a leg up, or head start.

"The Gilded Age," this new one is called.
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/may/08/thomas-piketty-new-gilded-age/?insrc=hpma

Do note the charts.  They seem clear.

I had to look up "Belle Époque period."  I was never there.  You might know what it means, but here it is anyway. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_%C3%89poque

I suggest you change your mind, whatever notions you might have started with as an understanding of big economics, sooner rather than later, if you have not already done so.  We are talking new and inescapable facts here, regardless of all the screaming the so-called "right wing" is doing about it.  (See e.g. the top most helpful Customer Review about the book at Amazon.  Pithy.)  Well, we know about the "right wing" and their strong group encouragement for living in denial, don't we, unless perhaps you've been living under a rock someplace or Fox TV is your only U.S. news source. :-7  So now you are warned.  Respects to my Republican friends.

love,
Larry

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:     change your mind now! Both Marxism AND capitalism are WRONG
Date:     Sat, 03 May 2014 22:59:57 -0400
From:     Larry Scott
n.b. A permanent link for this message is already at http://larryatblogspot.blogspot.com/2014/05/sent-5314-change-your-mind-now-both.html for the sake of making it easier for you to share with any friends you may have who might possibly be able to understand what it says without allowing any of their hot buttons to get triggered, no disrespect intended. Larry
====================
Subject: change your mind now! Both Marxism AND capitalism are WRONG

This is about Thomas Piketty, who has wowed the world of economics bigtime since his new book, Capital in the Twenty-First Century came out on March 10, 2014.  I recommended that book to you on April 5, 2014.  Now I am going a lot further based on the article linked below.

This is the most serious stuff that could possibly be other than climate catastrophe.  So please try your best to read it and get it right.  It does not seem to me to be that hard, though it is startling.  Trust me, this guy is the real thing, according to anyone who knows anything, it seems.  I've read a few other articles, not just this one.  I find the reference to the Occupy Movement a bit unfortunate; I think you can safely ignore that without losing a thing.  This is far more serious, however serious you may feel that Occupy was and/or is.  I totally refuse to try to summarize it. 

"Occupy was right: capitalism has failed the world", by Professor Andrew Hussey, Dean of the University of London Institute in Paris, Guardian Observer, April 12, 2014.   
Do yourself a big favor and take it whole and at face value, just the dictionary definitions of the words you see on the page, nothing else.  And then from that, build a new picture in your head.  Other than that I have no particular recommendations for doing anything differently other than possibly speaking a bit differently.

Over the years I have sent MUCH information about how money works, not as an expert economist but as one who tries.  One of my more recent missives was "Web of Debt", November, 29, 2013.  If you have some understanding of that then you know far more than do the vast majority of people.  Upon reading about Professor Piketty's work, I do not think that I have sent you much that was wrong, if anything.  I have avoided talking about the pros and cons of capitalism one way or the other, feeling that there would be no benefit to my doing so.  I still feel that way.  BUT, Thomas Piketty's deep and rigorous studies and thoughts seem clear enough.
Capital in the Twenty-First Century March 10, 2014
"Occupy was right: capitalism has failed the world" April 12, 2014

This one from May 2, 2014 is also important. 
"Our manifesto for Europe", by Thomas Piketty and 14 others
But it is secondary to the one dated April 12, 2014.

Larry
-------- Original Message --------
Subject:     more weight; change your mind now! Both Marxism AND capitalism are WRONG
Date:     Mon, 05 May 2014 22:26:34 -0400
From:     Larry Scott
This is in the May 8, 2014 issue of the highly respected The New York Review of Books, not to be confused with The New York Times Book Review.  I imagine that the venerable Professor Paul Krugman is writing on the topic of Thomas Piketty's already famous book Capital in the Twenty-First Century (March 10, 2014) by their invitation.  Also for weight, this does seem a rather heavy article. :-7  I haven't finished it (yet).  If you haven't read the previous (April 12, 2014) article I sent you on Thomas Piketty, by Professor Andrew Hussey, Dean of the University of London Institute in Paris, then I would read the earlier one first, to get a leg up, or head start.

"The Gilded Age," this new one is called.
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/may/08/thomas-piketty-new-gilded-age/?insrc=hpma

Do note the charts.  They seem clear.

I had to look up "Belle Époque period."  I was never there.  You might know what it means, but here it is anyway. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_%C3%89poque

I suggest you change your mind, whatever notions you might have started with as an understanding of big economics, sooner rather than later, if you have not already done so.  We are talking new and inescapable facts here, regardless of all the screaming the so-called "right wing" is doing about it.  (See e.g. the top most helpful Customer Review about the book at Amazon.  Pithy.)  Well, we know about the "right wing" and their strong group encouragement for living in denial, don't we, unless perhaps you've been living under a rock someplace or Fox TV is your only U.S. news source. :-7  So now you are warned.  Respects to my Republican friends.

love,
Larry

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:     change your mind now! Both Marxism AND capitalism are WRONG
Date:     Sat, 03 May 2014 22:59:57 -0400
From:     Larry Scott
n.b. A permanent link for this message is already at http://larryatblogspot.blogspot.com/2014/05/sent-5314-change-your-mind-now-both.html for the sake of making it easier for you to share with any friends you may have who might possibly be able to understand what it says without allowing any of their hot buttons to get triggered, no disrespect intended. Larry
====================
Subject: change your mind now! Both Marxism AND capitalism are WRONG

This is about Thomas Piketty, who has wowed the world of economics bigtime since his new book, Capital in the Twenty-First Century came out on March 10, 2014.  I recommended that book to you on April 5, 2014.  Now I am going a lot further based on the article linked below.

This is the most serious stuff that could possibly be other than climate catastrophe.  So please try your best to read it and get it right.  It does not seem to me to be that hard, though it is startling.  Trust me, this guy is the real thing, according to anyone who knows anything, it seems.  I've read a few other articles, not just this one.  I find the reference to the Occupy Movement a bit unfortunate; I think you can safely ignore that without losing a thing.  This is far more serious, however serious you may feel that Occupy was and/or is.  I totally refuse to try to summarize it. 

"Occupy was right: capitalism has failed the world", by Professor Andrew Hussey, Dean of the University of London Institute in Paris, Guardian Observer, April 12, 2014.   
Do yourself a big favor and take it whole and at face value, just the dictionary definitions of the words you see on the page, nothing else.  And then from that, build a new picture in your head.  Other than that I have no particular recommendations for doing anything differently other than possibly speaking a bit differently.

Over the years I have sent MUCH information about how money works, not as an expert economist but as one who tries.  One of my more recent missives was "Web of Debt", November, 29, 2013.  If you have some understanding of that then you know far more than do the vast majority of people.  Upon reading about Professor Piketty's work, I do not think that I have sent you much that was wrong, if anything.  I have avoided talking about the pros and cons of capitalism one way or the other, feeling that there would be no benefit to my doing so.  I still feel that way.  BUT, Thomas Piketty's deep and rigorous studies and thoughts seem clear enough.
Capital in the Twenty-First Century March 10, 2014
"Occupy was right: capitalism has failed the world" April 12, 2014

This one from May 2, 2014 is also important. 
"Our manifesto for Europe", by Thomas Piketty and 14 others
But it is secondary to the one dated April 12, 2014.

Larry
http://larryatblogspot.blogspot.com
"undisclosed recipients" email message archive, no logging in, no public comments

A problem: http://larryatblogspot.blogspot.com/2014/04/sent-42914-something-i-wrote-to-andy.html