sent 7/17/13 Playthell Benjamin on George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin

Subject: Playthell Benjamin on George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin

Playthell Benjamin is a black intellectual radio and print commentator.  He lives in an apartment building in Manhattan that is strictly for artists and has since 1820 or so (don't quote me on that date.)  His apartment was last occupied by Paul Robeson, who as you may recall is known dually as one of our fabulous singers--I myself have 28 songs of his--and as an American hero known for his activism during the McCarthy era.  That is one serious story!

Playthell Benjamin is from a family of teachers going back generations in an all black area of the South.

Put all that together and you see that as a serious and responsible teacher Playthell Benjamin is following some tough acts.

I do not myself talk much about race relations.  For one thing, I live now in the type of all-white area in which I spent my childhood.  But I do nonetheless pay some attention if only to have a better idea what all goes on in the world.  There is no question but that many black people could use a bit of help, including better protection from outright injustice.  I know many stories, keeping in mind that I am a white guy.

I have paid some serious attention to Playthell Benjamin.  He is a brilliant 71 or so year old man who has been going at high speed non-stop since he was--well, very young, and he's still at it. 

Some feel that Trayvon Martin assaulted George Zimmerman and that George Zimmerman was justified in shooting Trayvon Martin.  I hear that's basically what the jury said.  There is another story, seriously, which I do not care to debate.  But whatever, I am on Trayvon Martin's side.  I absolutely despise the very idea of a neighborhood vigilante like George Zimmerman going around pretending he's a [rogue] cop, not even guarding his own property.  I know being a vigilante is an old American tradition in some places, one that has been done away with again and again.  I certainly would not want one of them in my neighborhood.

BUT WHICHEVER SIDE OF THAT YOU'RE ON, Playthell Benjamin's piece is a brilliant read.  He is a far smarter man than I am, let me be the first to point out.  There are social consequences to the outcome of the George Zimmerman trial, and that is much of what he talks about here.  You may think you know all about that, but I don't think you do, or that I do even having had the benefit of Mr. Benjamin's article.

http://commentariesonthetimes.wordpress.com/2013/07/14/

love,
Larry

cc: Mr. Playthell Benjamin