N.B. Based on an express assumption/question that was expressed to me privately since I sent this--received from an old friend together with whom I have been renewing our friendship recently, I feel that I should add that I myself have no role in the Democratic Party whatsoever, whatever anyone might have been thinking. Larry
----------------------
Subject: something I wrote to Andy Schmookler: strong tendency with
Republican minions' ideas
I have mentioned various ideas that were being espoused by my good friend Andrew (Andy) Bard Schmookler over the years. I have been following along with him lately. All the background you need right now is that the words "wholeness" and "brokenness" are part of the language that Andy uses a lot in working to share his idea about what is wrong with our society and how best to go about fixing it.
I just sent him this as a bit of private correspondence earlier when I was thinking about him. Now I am sharing it with you. Note that this contains no private words from Dr. Schmookler, only my words, so there is no breach here of my deadly serious and absolute confidentiality rule.
I would add that there is no comparing parties here. Whatever you personally may think about each of the huge variety of ideas among the members and camp followers of the Democratic Party there just is no such machine in the Democratic Party that is as huge and centralized as what the Republican Party leadership has put together in recent years. That's just another dispassionate fact from study and observation over many years.
-------------------------------------
Dear Andy
For the sake of trying to be helpful, except for the risk of the word "minions" sounding as though I am talking about ants, I would say that the ideas in Republican propaganda and that are disseminated through the party minions tend to be separated one from another and make no sense when trying to put them all together to make any sort of whole. In that sense the ideas are "broken."
The above is, I think, a more or less objective observation, or the best I can do at being objective. To an only slightly lesser certainty the above "problem" is not a problem at all for those who are originating the ideas. I am thinking they must be quite cynical about it. I think they think the craziness, if I may call it that, the disconnection of ideas one from another, is a good thing for their personal and family well-being. They've got bills to pay too, you know, is how they feel about it, same as everyone else. That last is from an inside study I read by a reputable psychologist. [I shared that with many people at the time, I remember, so it must be among my sent emails of one year or another.]
Another new tagline is below, to provide proper context.
Larry
--
http://larryatblogspot.blogspot.com
"undisclosed recipients" email message archive, no logging in, no public comments
Above all there is no need to become one of the haters no matter how many of them there may be. :-)
I have mentioned various ideas that were being espoused by my good friend Andrew (Andy) Bard Schmookler over the years. I have been following along with him lately. All the background you need right now is that the words "wholeness" and "brokenness" are part of the language that Andy uses a lot in working to share his idea about what is wrong with our society and how best to go about fixing it.
I just sent him this as a bit of private correspondence earlier when I was thinking about him. Now I am sharing it with you. Note that this contains no private words from Dr. Schmookler, only my words, so there is no breach here of my deadly serious and absolute confidentiality rule.
I would add that there is no comparing parties here. Whatever you personally may think about each of the huge variety of ideas among the members and camp followers of the Democratic Party there just is no such machine in the Democratic Party that is as huge and centralized as what the Republican Party leadership has put together in recent years. That's just another dispassionate fact from study and observation over many years.
-------------------------------------
Dear Andy
For the sake of trying to be helpful, except for the risk of the word "minions" sounding as though I am talking about ants, I would say that the ideas in Republican propaganda and that are disseminated through the party minions tend to be separated one from another and make no sense when trying to put them all together to make any sort of whole. In that sense the ideas are "broken."
The above is, I think, a more or less objective observation, or the best I can do at being objective. To an only slightly lesser certainty the above "problem" is not a problem at all for those who are originating the ideas. I am thinking they must be quite cynical about it. I think they think the craziness, if I may call it that, the disconnection of ideas one from another, is a good thing for their personal and family well-being. They've got bills to pay too, you know, is how they feel about it, same as everyone else. That last is from an inside study I read by a reputable psychologist. [I shared that with many people at the time, I remember, so it must be among my sent emails of one year or another.]
Another new tagline is below, to provide proper context.
Larry
--
http://larryatblogspot.blogspot.com
"undisclosed recipients" email message archive, no logging in, no public comments
Above all there is no need to become one of the haters no matter how many of them there may be. :-)