The three (four) links) below are really about people and how
different we can be one from another more than anything else. There
are also many interesting facts, but you probably already know most
of them, definitely not all.
You can see my part in each of these different conversations, and you can see others' parts as well. I am a serious figure in them, and so are others, interesting people all. I've learned. So can you when you have time to look at these three threads. What might not be obvious is that this is serious stuff that is being overheard by many people including those who hear Andy Schmookler in the news and on radio and television.
These titles represent only the beginnings. They do not represent limitations on the topics of conversation, really.
There might be a benefit to going through these in order, as some people's thinking seems to progress over time. Maybe. :-)
This is one from a bit earlier that I also recommend if you have more time after the three above. Warning: I was part of this one also. :-)
III: The Spirit of the Lie
love,
Larry
You can see my part in each of these different conversations, and you can see others' parts as well. I am a serious figure in them, and so are others, interesting people all. I've learned. So can you when you have time to look at these three threads. What might not be obvious is that this is serious stuff that is being overheard by many people including those who hear Andy Schmookler in the news and on radio and television.
These titles represent only the beginnings. They do not represent limitations on the topics of conversation, really.
There might be a benefit to going through these in order, as some people's thinking seems to progress over time. Maybe. :-)
- ....IV: The Spirit of War (This is the same thread I linked to in my May 19th message below. Much time has passed and much has happened since, different very interesting twists and turns.)
- "Or Is It that All “Evil Forces” Are the Same?"
- "Future Generations Will Find It Hard to Understand, or Forgive, Climate Deniers"
This is one from a bit earlier that I also recommend if you have more time after the three above. Warning: I was part of this one also. :-)
III: The Spirit of the Lie
love,
Larry
On 5/19/2014 3:02 PM, Larry Scott
wrote:
Subject: [.....IV: The Spirit of War (LINK]
by Andrew Bard Schmookler, May 19, 2014
I highly recommend this great analysis by Dr. Andrew Bard Schmookler. He is clearly correct, keeping in mind that the first part is about Southern history before anyone now alive was born, and that the South has evolved greatly since then, as societies with outside contact are wont to do over time.
This is about how the Civil War has left many of the people the South ready to fight more than the average Northerner is ready to pull his gun, on average. Top Republican leadership really really is using big propaganda mechanisms to encourage Southerners to prepare for another Civil War against the North, the North being full of "liberals" that supposedly are running the U.S. government nowadays. Like Hah, like that is true! NOT.
But that is a big part of the Republican Party propaganda and has been for quite awhile now. Depending on what you pay attention to and don't you may have seen some of that yourself. Another instance of turning the truth upside down, saying the opposite of what is true, with the evident purpose of confusing people who know no better than to listen to them. The point is, I do think people of the South are more actually prepared on average, on a personal level, to fight in physical wars.
And that is an attitude that I do not like having around me. I seriously agree that that attitude is helping to spit the country right in two. In my personal judgement that is not a good situation, really, for anyone in the country. But then of course who am I to pretend to know what is best for anyone else. I do allow myself suggestions, and working to put an end to the split is a BIG suggestion.
No, Anon53, this is NOT hatred. I am totally calm and smiling. It is plain truth. Quakers don't swear, but I will affirm.
Getting involved with Andy Schmookler's ideas about evil, and specifically his advocacy for talking to others in those terms, are optional. I've decided against that for myself, and that is NOT what I am doing by bringing this interesting article to your attention. Regardless of disagreements, at least so far, he is still a great scholar with interesting and valuable knowledge and insights. I suggest taking away what resonates and just leaving the rest.
Larry