Subject: humiliation a key to the authoritarian personality type?
The writing of my own that I am forwarding you below was part of a private exchange earlier. The identity of the person with whom the exchange took place is of no possible useful consequence.
Just for your information, I have mentioned over the years something about the authoritarian personality type, so-called. There was much discussion about that at the site of my friend Dr. Andrew Bard ("Andy") Schmookler just a few years ago. I may have involved you in having made reference to that topic four times in the past that I find in my archives. It falls into the professional field of Psychology. I think this below is a standalone from which you can take away a bare understanding of some point that I might be trying to make. :-) But if you happen to be interested you might take a look at one previous mention of mine (link) of the term "authoritarian personality" at Larry
----sent privately earlier to one friend ----------------------------
Dear [Anon],
You can look it up and read all about the so-called authoritarian personality type if you are interested. There is at least one book on the topic that got excellent reviews.
I think a key to understanding might be that people of the authoritarian personality type believe in the use of humiliation as a tool, either from the giving humiliation side (leaders) or from the constantly or sometimes receiving humiliation side (followers). I have no idea whether or not anyone has written those words in a book. But I bet they do fit.
Larry
The writing of my own that I am forwarding you below was part of a private exchange earlier. The identity of the person with whom the exchange took place is of no possible useful consequence.
Just for your information, I have mentioned over the years something about the authoritarian personality type, so-called. There was much discussion about that at the site of my friend Dr. Andrew Bard ("Andy") Schmookler just a few years ago. I may have involved you in having made reference to that topic four times in the past that I find in my archives. It falls into the professional field of Psychology. I think this below is a standalone from which you can take away a bare understanding of some point that I might be trying to make. :-) But if you happen to be interested you might take a look at one previous mention of mine (link) of the term "authoritarian personality" at Larry
----sent privately earlier to one friend ----------------------------
Dear [Anon],
You can look it up and read all about the so-called authoritarian personality type if you are interested. There is at least one book on the topic that got excellent reviews.
I think a key to understanding might be that people of the authoritarian personality type believe in the use of humiliation as a tool, either from the giving humiliation side (leaders) or from the constantly or sometimes receiving humiliation side (followers). I have no idea whether or not anyone has written those words in a book. But I bet they do fit.
Larry