1. This is a
ge.tt instant download link for the free 150th anniversary
issue of The Nation, April 2015, 57Mb pdf. Non-profit,
educational copyright exception. I do encourage you to support The Nation because it
is a great old publication off the beaten path of
politically-controlled modern media.
At page 120 begins an article "Lesser Evilism We Can Believe In," by Michael Tomasky. It has gotten me thinking. You know I dislike Hillary Clinton quite a lot, but Michael Tomasky points out that it matters a lot which big set of people moves into the Executive branch after an election, quite largely aside from the person of the President herself. I am thinking about it in terms of possibly getting more involved in politics after all. Holding one's nose and advocating for HC if she gets the nomination might be presented as the thing to do because of the larger picture and the dire need to prevent the apparently out-just-for-themselves-and-their-global-friends monied Republicans from taking fuller control over governments, especially governments with jurisdiction in the U.S. See for example here.
2. I sent this on from last Saturday to a friend who is an active Friend in a silent-type Religious Society of Friends (Quaker) Meeting elsewhere in the country.
sent 3/28/15 ACTION AND VIRAL PLEASE! FCNL: "Main Street Shouldn't Look Like a War Zone"
That friend/Friend then forwarded my message to another Friend who is a long time part of that Meeting. They had both taken part, the other Friend a very strong part, in speaking out against the city's acquisition of a BearCat war machine from the Department of Homeland Security (aka DHS).
I got to see the reply from the other Friend. I found it surprising and very interesting:
Just for the record I should make a correction to that. Friends agree on sitting down quietly together for an hour on Sunday mornings and listening together, listening when another is moved to speak, and speaking respectfully as The Light Within may demand, leaving lengthy respectful pauses in between to give time for contemplation of what has been heard. Silent meeting friends do agree seriously to act in accord with that procedure. Sometimes the whole hour goes by with not a word having been spoken.
Happy Easter! Me I will be singing and then going to have a meal together with family. If you have a pang of jealousy over that then please do something else fun tomorrow. :-)
Larry
--
Brother Larry/Attorney Scott archives (Larry at Blogspot) "undisclosed recipients" email message archive, no logging in, no public comments
One way or another, raise yourself up I say; do not be afraid. If you are not doing it you can do it. Other people are doing it. We can learn from them, I find.
At page 120 begins an article "Lesser Evilism We Can Believe In," by Michael Tomasky. It has gotten me thinking. You know I dislike Hillary Clinton quite a lot, but Michael Tomasky points out that it matters a lot which big set of people moves into the Executive branch after an election, quite largely aside from the person of the President herself. I am thinking about it in terms of possibly getting more involved in politics after all. Holding one's nose and advocating for HC if she gets the nomination might be presented as the thing to do because of the larger picture and the dire need to prevent the apparently out-just-for-themselves-and-their-global-friends monied Republicans from taking fuller control over governments, especially governments with jurisdiction in the U.S. See for example here.
2. I sent this on from last Saturday to a friend who is an active Friend in a silent-type Religious Society of Friends (Quaker) Meeting elsewhere in the country.
sent 3/28/15 ACTION AND VIRAL PLEASE! FCNL: "Main Street Shouldn't Look Like a War Zone"
That friend/Friend then forwarded my message to another Friend who is a long time part of that Meeting. They had both taken part, the other Friend a very strong part, in speaking out against the city's acquisition of a BearCat war machine from the Department of Homeland Security (aka DHS).
I got to see the reply from the other Friend. I found it surprising and very interesting:
Thanks for this, [Anon]. As a Christian Anarchist, I do not involve myself with government at any but a local level, as all government is based on the threat of death, in the end, and thus in rebellion against the Eternal. I make an exception for local governments because I have a chance to know the people who comprise them in that which is Eternal, as I did with the City Council [recently].I actually believe that I have heard and understood what that Friend said. For myself I am thinking that while what that Friend said is true, making no attempt to stop the evils of the various levels and parts of government when they are ruining the lives of friends and family is an evasion of responsibility regardless of where different people think that responsibility comes from. "For me it is first The Light Within and then country, not the other way around," as I said Wednesday afternoon. I had mentioned Elias Hicks in that same message of mine that he received. I have not checked on whether or not Elias Hicks was "of the same mind." That Friend being an impeccable source, doubtless it is true of Elias Hicks despite it not being something I have heard or read otherwise. As I said, Friends are not required to agree on anything.
Interestingly, Elias Hicks was of the same mind, except when it came to slavery.
Just for the record I should make a correction to that. Friends agree on sitting down quietly together for an hour on Sunday mornings and listening together, listening when another is moved to speak, and speaking respectfully as The Light Within may demand, leaving lengthy respectful pauses in between to give time for contemplation of what has been heard. Silent meeting friends do agree seriously to act in accord with that procedure. Sometimes the whole hour goes by with not a word having been spoken.
Happy Easter! Me I will be singing and then going to have a meal together with family. If you have a pang of jealousy over that then please do something else fun tomorrow. :-)
Larry
--
Brother Larry/Attorney Scott archives (Larry at Blogspot) "undisclosed recipients" email message archive, no logging in, no public comments
One way or another, raise yourself up I say; do not be afraid. If you are not doing it you can do it. Other people are doing it. We can learn from them, I find.