(slightly revised) sent 11/1/15 (context: the Serenity Prayer) three more news sites that include science--Quartz, Quoea, IFLscience

Subject: (a bit lofty, forgive please; :) three more news sites that include science----Quartz, Quora, IFLscience

I am very pleased with the result of my request for more good news sites particularly with some emphasis on science.

The first one of three above, Quartz, came from a still-young adult Millennial relative of mine.  It seems to me that he is much smarter than I am in some ways that he is blessed with the brain for, more than I am.  I am not sure he's the best with live rural animals, though, just to be fair.  I know a number of people who are more embedded than he or I with a nature that includes daily contact with live rural animals.  I give them credit.  Anyway, he gave me the Quartz site, and I found the other two myself from pursuing that one.

Last night and today I have been pondering once again The "Serenity Prayer," by the American theologian Reinhold Niebuhr:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
While at church this morning, where you can expect me to be on Sundays during choir season, I got into a conversation, with a friend there, a tall and quite articulate older man, older the way I am I mean.  Given a perfect opportunity earlier, I had stood up during the service and said to all present, improving the language just slightly now, "My family has seemed to be doing ok this week, though we can always use prayers.  What I am asking you all to pray for with me is the spread of the barest knowledge in the face of powerful and shared denial on some important subjects that affect all of us."  My friend after church wanted to hear it from me, specifically what "denials" concerned me.  So I gave him my current examples: "Climate change; the fact that Zionism and British, French, and now primarily U.S. foreign policy for the last umpteen years and ongoing have been together the primary cause of the size and the seriousness of the horrors that have been happening in the Middle East, I would say perhaps especially since the development of ocean-going sailing ships; :-|  and the deterioration of the amount of real knowledge that most children across this country are acquiring--not referring to the concept of intelligence.  Intelligence and knowledge are not the same thing.  We discussed possible causes behind that deterioration, but those are no part of my point right here.

The point is, those are some areas that seem to me important and in which denial reaches great statistical heights in the old U.S. of A.  That saddens me.

But then we got back to the Serenity Prayer (see above).  I find value in just struggling with denial whenever I get a reasonable opening.  I have been able to speak my mind on occasion even if the topic is one that some or many people consider inappropriate for polite conversation.  No, I am not referring to the use of impolite words per se.  And denial of some important shared things is something that I feel might be within my capabilities to effect change, even of only in fairly small ways.  But that is me, and my estimation. 

The struggle for the "wisdom to know the difference" between what one can change and what one cannot change is first and foremost an individual struggle.  We have our different individual situations, and each of us has his or her own talents and abilities to consider.  Listening to the opinions of others can be valuable, but never determinative as far as I am concerned, with due respect for paying bosses and good musical group conductors. 

If you are one who is happier following a leader on some of the other things I have mentioned, then you might possibly decide that you could spend a bit more time looking in the right places to find people with credentials that are respected by more than a few other people with credentials, just to help you in figuring out which of the would-be leaders to follow.  [Ed: Of course I mean credentialed people who are not anti-science, to begin with.]  That might be within your capacity to change.  If not, well certainly my God loves you despite your incapacity, and I do try to follow.

Larry
--
Brother Larry/Attorney Scott archives (Larry at Blogspot) "undisclosed recipients" email message archive, no logging in, no public comments
One way or another, raise yourself up I say; do not be afraid.  If you are not doing it you can do it.  Other people are doing it.  We can learn from them, I find.
God's love is there for everyone!  Yes,
everyone!  I do feel that knowledge myself, and I also have words to that clear effect from the best of authorities, including Brian Krause and Carl Jung.