n.b. This is a partially a repeat from June 28, 2014, with
something added. Do note that 21 months have passed. We have
more actual knowledge about what is going on with global
warming/climate change, many more animal and plant(?) species have
gone extinct, and I seem to recall that at least one politician
has managed to change his mind. So those are things to keep in
mind. Please also note that I vehemently deny the application
of labels either to myself or to other people. I for one do not
agree entirely with anyone else in the world. Not entirely. So my
agreement with somebody about one thing supports no
extrapolation or assumption that I agree with that person about
something else. :-) LAS
-----originally June 28, 2014-----------------
-----originally June 28, 2014-----------------
Subject: "Conservatives
Don't Deny Climate Science Because They're Ignorant. They Deny
It Because of Who They Are," by Chris Mooney, June 26, 2014
In addition to the link for the scientific paper itself, there's another link in the above subject line article that I particularly recommend following when you get to it: "....Dan Kahan, recently profiled in depth by Ezra Klein in a much read Vox article aptly titled 'How politics makes us stupid.....,'" April 6, 2014.
Just as a matter of interest for yourself and aside from anything else--and you don't need to tell me or anyone else what your answer was--see how you do on that skin cream test results question. And hey, if you get it wrong you can just be more careful next time. Please don't let it determine your life. And by the way, I don't think your answer when it's about skin cream means anything about party affiliation. :-)
Gotta warn ya, the podcast colorfully linked at the bottom of the main article here got so stupid I could hardly stand it and stopped listening to it. They played a clip with Oprah Winfrey and then went off to discuss what to me was clearly a complete misunderstanding / misrepresentation of what Oprah had said She was only stating her own personal view, and her view was being understood by the person she was speaking with, so truly there was no huge social problem. If you play the clip at all I suggest stopping when you get to the topic of Oprah. The discussion about the moose population had been very interesting.
-------end June 28, 2014-------------------------
Here is the new part. (Hint: I think it is very much related):
You might be a bit interested in this "Theory of Mind (ToM) topic that I tripped over recently while in an email conversation with someone. (Yes, I do have one or two other correspondents. Please do not be jealous. :-)
I am sure you you remember having seen my mention of the name Alfred Korzybski a few hundred times or so, though not lately. His thoughts and studies are related to this ToM thing, though he is not mentioned on the Wikipedia page. I think this is pleasant enough, though it takes a bit of work.
http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/11/03/what-developmental-milestones-are-you-missing/
See generally, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind
----------------------------
This has a few collected messages on global warming/climate change. They are mostly NOT about Hillary Clinton specifically or by name.
sent 3/14/16 "Hillary Will Never Admit Publicly That She Supports Fracking, But She's a Booster Behind Closed Doors" +
Larry
-[6/28/2014 footer for old times sake]-
Larry at
Blogspot "undisclosed
recipients" email message archive, no logging in, no public
comments
The question of how a relatively small group of cloistered gangsters can so consistently destroy everything they touch (except the bank accounts of their benefactors) and still remain in power gets to the heart of the American conundrum. --Rob Urie (link)
Above all there is no need to become one of the haters no matter how many of them there may be. We can still have fun without that! Sometimes it is a bit of work keeping that in mind.--LAS
In addition to the link for the scientific paper itself, there's another link in the above subject line article that I particularly recommend following when you get to it: "....Dan Kahan, recently profiled in depth by Ezra Klein in a much read Vox article aptly titled 'How politics makes us stupid.....,'" April 6, 2014.
Just as a matter of interest for yourself and aside from anything else--and you don't need to tell me or anyone else what your answer was--see how you do on that skin cream test results question. And hey, if you get it wrong you can just be more careful next time. Please don't let it determine your life. And by the way, I don't think your answer when it's about skin cream means anything about party affiliation. :-)
Gotta warn ya, the podcast colorfully linked at the bottom of the main article here got so stupid I could hardly stand it and stopped listening to it. They played a clip with Oprah Winfrey and then went off to discuss what to me was clearly a complete misunderstanding / misrepresentation of what Oprah had said She was only stating her own personal view, and her view was being understood by the person she was speaking with, so truly there was no huge social problem. If you play the clip at all I suggest stopping when you get to the topic of Oprah. The discussion about the moose population had been very interesting.
-------end June 28, 2014-------------------------
Here is the new part. (Hint: I think it is very much related):
You might be a bit interested in this "Theory of Mind (ToM) topic that I tripped over recently while in an email conversation with someone. (Yes, I do have one or two other correspondents. Please do not be jealous. :-)
I am sure you you remember having seen my mention of the name Alfred Korzybski a few hundred times or so, though not lately. His thoughts and studies are related to this ToM thing, though he is not mentioned on the Wikipedia page. I think this is pleasant enough, though it takes a bit of work.
http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/11/03/what-developmental-milestones-are-you-missing/
See generally, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind
----------------------------
This has a few collected messages on global warming/climate change. They are mostly NOT about Hillary Clinton specifically or by name.
sent 3/14/16 "Hillary Will Never Admit Publicly That She Supports Fracking, But She's a Booster Behind Closed Doors" +
Larry
-[6/28/2014 footer for old times sake]-
The question of how a relatively small group of cloistered gangsters can so consistently destroy everything they touch (except the bank accounts of their benefactors) and still remain in power gets to the heart of the American conundrum. --Rob Urie (link)
Above all there is no need to become one of the haters no matter how many of them there may be. We can still have fun without that! Sometimes it is a bit of work keeping that in mind.--LAS