"The
Original Underclass: Poor white Americans’ current crisis
shouldn’t have caught the rest of the country as off guard as
it has," by Alec MacGillis and ProPublica, The
Atlantic, September 2016 issue, reviews two new books.
You can also see the many customer reviews on Amazon, of course.
White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America, by Nancy Isenberg (June 21, 2016)
Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis, by J.D. Vance (June 28, 2016)
I knew, but the details had slipped my mind lately. I cannot say that I am exactly happy to be reminded, but I do say that, really, if we are supposed to keep in mind the fates of poverty-stricken black people then we need to keep in mind the fates of poverty-stricken white people also. There are probably more of them in terms of numbers, and nobody has been paying much attention to them either--less, probably, since the 1960s anyway.
"For poor whites, the most painful comparison is not with supposedly ascendant minorities but with the fortunes of their own parents."
love,
Larry
White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America, by Nancy Isenberg (June 21, 2016)
Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis, by J.D. Vance (June 28, 2016)
I knew, but the details had slipped my mind lately. I cannot say that I am exactly happy to be reminded, but I do say that, really, if we are supposed to keep in mind the fates of poverty-stricken black people then we need to keep in mind the fates of poverty-stricken white people also. There are probably more of them in terms of numbers, and nobody has been paying much attention to them either--less, probably, since the 1960s anyway.
"For poor whites, the most painful comparison is not with supposedly ascendant minorities but with the fortunes of their own parents."
love,
Larry