sent 1/21/11 A.J. MUSTE: "I do it so the country won't change me."

Subject: A.J. MUSTE: "I do it so the country won't change me."

At the end of his life, Muste took a leadership role in the movement against the Vietnam War. Fellow peace activist Andrea Ayvazian tells of Muste standing outside the White House every night during the Viet Nam War, holding a candle, regardless of whether it was raining or not. One evening, a reporter approached him, and asked if he really thought that by standing outside the White House holding a candle night after night, he would change the policies of the country, to which Muste replied: "Oh, you've got it all wrong. I'm not doing this to change the country. I do it so the country won't change me." [Andrea Ayvizian, the Sun, Nov. 1994]

(from http://www.uumh.org/html/sermon_afflict.htm )

Just thought I'd share that.

Larry
January 21, 2011