sent 9/12/13 Syria: below is the text of my reply back to my House Representative

Subject: Syria: below [this introductory part] is the text of my reply back to my House Representative

My Representative from the House in Washington wrote me yesterday, replying to what I had written to him last week, with a statement that he had decided, for the good reasons he gave, to vote NO on the question of the U.S. military attacking Syria.

Aside from the discussion about other congressional lobbies, which was not included, my reply to my representative follows suggestions that came out of the hour-long FCNL telephone conference that was held last evening:

1. Ask your Senators and your member of Congress please to learn about and keep some attention on the many traditional international diplomatic institutions that exist.  See also what I wrote below.

2: Also ask them to take time to collect up a group of colleagues and take the train up to visit the UN General Assembly meeting later this month--to mingle with a few representatives from foreign lands.

03. Resources are being added to this FCNL page: http://fcnl.org/issues/syria/

-----------sent September 12, 2013-------------
Note: You will find the links for references in this in

Dear Representative xxxxx  xxxxxxxxx,

I want to thank you for having taken the position you did against a U.S. military attack on Syria and for the carefully thought out statement that you sent me.  I find nothing in it whatsoever to criticize.

But as I seriously hope you agree, this is not very likely to be the end of that matter.  Journalist Robert Naiman wrote a day or so ago, "We were told by the government of Israel, the government of Saudi Arabia, and the American-Israel Public Affairs Committee that it was absolutely essential that the United States strike Syria militarily to send a signal to Iran that the U.S. was willing to use force to confront Iran's nuclear program."

I remember well that toward the end of the Bush years, I believe it was, or perhaps a bit later, I shared with my own few hundred private readers a news article concerning survey of individual congresspeople on the question of what were the most influential lobbies in Washington.  Interestingly, it turned out that the American-Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), which is a completely U.S. organization of Zionist Jews, was the second-most influential congressional lobby of all, second only to the AARC lobby.  For Zionism click here.  Though the members of AIPAC naturally do not like hearing it, according to surveys it is a minority of American Jews who are serious Zionists.  It's that minority that belongs to AIPAC.  I have no reason to believe that the AIPAC lobbying problem has changed much if at all.  The top leaders of AIPAC happen to include some big bankers.

Most likely you have already become aware of the above long since.  What could possibly be news to you is that it is all rather widely known now.

It appears that you have resisted so far the influence of the Saudi and Israeli governments and that of AIPAC.  Thank you, and I applaud you for that!

I am aware of much of what is on your plate to worry about these days.  Nonetheless, I ask you, seriously, to do what you can to learn about and to encourage the reinforcement with additional personnel as may be necessary, strengthening of existing albeit a bit rickety international diplomatic institutions.

I also ask that you get a group of your colleagues together and take the train up and visit the meeting of the UN General Assembly later this month, mainly to intermingle and get to know some people from other countries, as was the congressional tradition not so long ago.

Thank you for what you have done and thank you in advance for whatever more you are able to do.

Respectfully yours,

Larry

Larry A. Scott
--
http://larryatblogspot.blogspot.com
(I started that public blog in May 2013.  So far I have had time to add mostly just my writings since then.  I do not permit public comments.)