Who knew: America (the U.S.) is and has been trying to pressure Iran
into agreeing to all demands without Iran getting in return
the lifting of economic sanctions against that great* country. See
the article link a few paragraphs down. Sheesh.
That U.S. particular policy stinks to high heaven of manipulation by the so-called Israel Lobby (Wikipedia LINK). Israel has been pushing and pushing for a U.S. attack on Iran. The Israeli Prime Minister said once that Israel would attack on its own if he couldn't get the U.S. under control to be in the forefront, or words to that effect, but I understand that Israel just does not have the military air power to even to begin any such thing on its own.
According to a survey of those in Congress the Israel Lobby is the second-most influential U.S. Congressional lobby after the old folks lobby, AARP, Inc. Trying to push Iran into such a totally unfair deal as that seems like a suspiciously purposeful-seeming way to be unsuccessful in reaching an agreement and to try to excuse pushing us and our people and our money into going ahead and doing a big military attack on Iran with the Israelis in a role of assisting.
Gareth Porter may be well-known to you as a great journalist, as he is to me:
"The real problem of 'getting to yes' with Iran," by Gareth Porter, Middle East Eye, February 12, 2015 (OR "print-friendly" link)
But hey, maybe there's a bit of hope that we can keep ourselves under better control despite Israel and the Israel Lobby. Oh, by the way, the Israel Lobby includes a significant group of wealthy Jewish American/Israelis who travel back and forth for business. They are the leaders in the forefront of AIPAC, which is a significant segment of the Israel Lobby in the U.S. Congress along with members if the Israeli Government. Here is one basis for hope, the open and public offense that AIPAC committed in getting the Israeli Prime Minister scheduled to speak directly to a joint session of the U.S. Congress on March 3, 2015, which happens to be just before an election in Israel in which he is running for reelection.
"Bernie Sanders: How Netanyahu Destroyed the Israel Lobby," by Juan Cole, Informed Comment, February 10, 2015 (OR "print-friendly" link)
There is a ways to go yet before March 3, 2015. Perhaps you might like to say something to the Federal officials who have jurisdiction in your area, something about boycotting that speech and perhaps making a big deal out of doing so. There is time; I have put this on my to-do list.
I have argued that for many reasons, Israel is becoming more a Republican Party project than a Democratic one. Many in the GOP agree and hope this development will bring US Jews, who vote overwhelmingly Democratic, over to the Republicans. But another development is possible, which is that Jewish Democrats may become less supportive of an increasingly far rightwing Israel.--Juan Cole.
love to all,
Larry
* From my perspective, Iran is another wonderful country taken as a whole--though I might not, for various reasons, care to live there myself--I am the wrong color for one thing--a different mostly peaceful place in the sense that I like to think of the United States as a "mostly peaceful place," though perhaps Iran is the more peaceful as between the two of us. In addition, Iran is a historic monument that would remove something of great value from the world if it were turned into someplace with a flavor like New York or Texas or California, just a lot bigger. Of course Iran could never be like those places anyway, if it were subjected to nuclear bombing. I am fairly sure that there are some who do not live in Iran who enjoy the concept of its total nuclear destruction. But I would miss Iran even though I have never been near there.
------------------------------------------------
P.S. I talk somewhat often about the role of Israel in the world because it is a major influence on my life and on your life, not because I hate anybody. Just so you know. I think we need to be a bit cold blooded and businesslike sometimes just to take better care of ourselves. And if we want to consider Israel as another state in the United States then I would join in voting with the big and less known opposition to military action that is alive inside Israel. Up to now the Israel Lobby has not been much interested in statehood for Israel, that I've heard. Being in charge in Washington D.C. has been good enough, probably better from their point of view and from the points of view of those involved with the military business part of the U.S. economy. LS
P.P.S. Here are some relevant things I've sent you just recently:
sent 2/3/15 William Astore, great review and analysis: 7 Reasons Why America’s Wars Aren’t Ending Anytime Soon
A case can doubtless be made for continual escalation of military activity in the world to "improve" the economy, especially the financial sector of the economy. But the attention requirements for that are already costing us way too much in our individual lives.
That U.S. particular policy stinks to high heaven of manipulation by the so-called Israel Lobby (Wikipedia LINK). Israel has been pushing and pushing for a U.S. attack on Iran. The Israeli Prime Minister said once that Israel would attack on its own if he couldn't get the U.S. under control to be in the forefront, or words to that effect, but I understand that Israel just does not have the military air power to even to begin any such thing on its own.
According to a survey of those in Congress the Israel Lobby is the second-most influential U.S. Congressional lobby after the old folks lobby, AARP, Inc. Trying to push Iran into such a totally unfair deal as that seems like a suspiciously purposeful-seeming way to be unsuccessful in reaching an agreement and to try to excuse pushing us and our people and our money into going ahead and doing a big military attack on Iran with the Israelis in a role of assisting.
Gareth Porter may be well-known to you as a great journalist, as he is to me:
"The real problem of 'getting to yes' with Iran," by Gareth Porter, Middle East Eye, February 12, 2015 (OR "print-friendly" link)
But hey, maybe there's a bit of hope that we can keep ourselves under better control despite Israel and the Israel Lobby. Oh, by the way, the Israel Lobby includes a significant group of wealthy Jewish American/Israelis who travel back and forth for business. They are the leaders in the forefront of AIPAC, which is a significant segment of the Israel Lobby in the U.S. Congress along with members if the Israeli Government. Here is one basis for hope, the open and public offense that AIPAC committed in getting the Israeli Prime Minister scheduled to speak directly to a joint session of the U.S. Congress on March 3, 2015, which happens to be just before an election in Israel in which he is running for reelection.
"Bernie Sanders: How Netanyahu Destroyed the Israel Lobby," by Juan Cole, Informed Comment, February 10, 2015 (OR "print-friendly" link)
There is a ways to go yet before March 3, 2015. Perhaps you might like to say something to the Federal officials who have jurisdiction in your area, something about boycotting that speech and perhaps making a big deal out of doing so. There is time; I have put this on my to-do list.
I have argued that for many reasons, Israel is becoming more a Republican Party project than a Democratic one. Many in the GOP agree and hope this development will bring US Jews, who vote overwhelmingly Democratic, over to the Republicans. But another development is possible, which is that Jewish Democrats may become less supportive of an increasingly far rightwing Israel.--Juan Cole.
love to all,
Larry
* From my perspective, Iran is another wonderful country taken as a whole--though I might not, for various reasons, care to live there myself--I am the wrong color for one thing--a different mostly peaceful place in the sense that I like to think of the United States as a "mostly peaceful place," though perhaps Iran is the more peaceful as between the two of us. In addition, Iran is a historic monument that would remove something of great value from the world if it were turned into someplace with a flavor like New York or Texas or California, just a lot bigger. Of course Iran could never be like those places anyway, if it were subjected to nuclear bombing. I am fairly sure that there are some who do not live in Iran who enjoy the concept of its total nuclear destruction. But I would miss Iran even though I have never been near there.
------------------------------------------------
P.S. I talk somewhat often about the role of Israel in the world because it is a major influence on my life and on your life, not because I hate anybody. Just so you know. I think we need to be a bit cold blooded and businesslike sometimes just to take better care of ourselves. And if we want to consider Israel as another state in the United States then I would join in voting with the big and less known opposition to military action that is alive inside Israel. Up to now the Israel Lobby has not been much interested in statehood for Israel, that I've heard. Being in charge in Washington D.C. has been good enough, probably better from their point of view and from the points of view of those involved with the military business part of the U.S. economy. LS
P.P.S. Here are some relevant things I've sent you just recently:
sent 2/3/15 William Astore, great review and analysis: 7 Reasons Why America’s Wars Aren’t Ending Anytime Soon
A case can doubtless be made for continual escalation of military activity in the world to "improve" the economy, especially the financial sector of the economy. But the attention requirements for that are already costing us way too much in our individual lives.
Larry