sent 7/7/16 1, TIME FOR ACTION AGAIN; *and* 2, if you've never been, you might want to visit New York City this fall before you lose your chance

Subject: 1, TIME FOR ACTION AGAIN (350.org clean petition link) (theguardian link for broader political background); AND 2, if you've never been, you might want to visit New York City this fall before you lose your chance (Rolling Stone article link)

1.
I had been debating with myself over whether or not to send this out.  It seems to me that I might already know enough about climate change to last me for the time I have remaining.  Where I am lucky enough to find myself, in the area of the United States north of the line along the southern edge that runs east and west along the southern edge of New York State--the Southern Tier--and north and east to the northern tip of Maine but away from the coast, I expect not to have to relocate in the time that I have left.  Others in various other places in the world may be forced either to relocate or to get sick and die.  The predictions on which places are which are improving steadily, day by day.

This is a great and hugely informative article that I encountered in the print magazine yesterday under the title, "Can New York City Survive Global Warming.  The main focus is on sea level rise, a huge problem which is being taken with huge seriousness by city officials but which may ultimately be unsolvable.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/can-new-york-be-saved-in-the-era-of-global-warming-20160705
I am serious about suggesting that you think of visiting New York City sometime sooner rather than later if you have not done so.  I have spent significant time there in the past and love it.  I have also been in other places in the world and can tell you that there is no place that is really much like New York City and, as with many places, that you really cannot learn about it just from hearing about it from other people.  If you are one of the many who are afraid of cities just go in the company of one of the many others who are aware of how to be  reasonably cautious but who are not afraid.  In many places in New York City there is really not a lot to be afraid of.  One big bit of wisdom when I was there was do not go to 125th Street or north of there.  People who live in the City know and will tell you.

2. But.  Now I have just been getting appeals, both from 350.org (clean petition link) and from a good friend, for help in trying to push the Federal government into trying to do something.  And yes, if it is reasonable that anything might be doable actually to slow down the damage that has been going on for too many years already, it would have to be something very big.  So while you and your family are thinking about focusing on the safer places, you might want to TAKE ACTION to try to get the politicians to face the reality and think about what can be done. 
"Climate change: the missing issue of the 2016 campaign," by Ed Pilkington and Mona Chalabi, theguardian, June 5, 2016

Of course with some of the politicians I would guess that they already know about the reality and have decided, trying to take everything that is going on in the world into account, that nothing can be done and are just trying to keep their mouths shut about it so as not to alarm people.

Larry