Subject: Global [fossil fuels] Divestment Day; Mr. Tom Snell, from
northern Maine to Swarthmore to Brown, now retired in Santa Cruz, CA
1. I receive email messages from 350.org because I signed up with them. Hopefully you did and do as well. However, just in case you didn't, today, February 13, 2015, is a day of action for people all over the planet called "Global [fossil fuels] Divestment Day," the "action" being divesting and encouraging others to divest from investments in all the fossil fuels industries, "others" being both individuals and institutions. You can go to 350.org (LINK) for details and pictures of what is going on live all over the world and including some on Facebook. There are also suggestions of ways that you can help if you have any time, either a lot of time or just a little bit of time.
2. I was very privileged this morning to discover the website of Mr. Tom Snell of Santa Cruz, California, by way of Mount Desert Island on the coast of northern Maine--his parents were fascinating people too by the way--Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania, to Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, to years as a teacher, to years back in Maine as a software developer (Encyclopedia of the Mouse Genome), receiving with a small team an award for innovative scientific software.* Besides hiking in the Redwoods and walking the shores, Mr. Tom Snell works for his children and grandchildren's future and the future of others like them.
This is part of what Mr. Tom Snell does with his time. His work appears authoritative based upon the work of the 97 percent of climate scientists that agree on what's happening to our world [nasa LINK] including the 40-year-delayed-effects of burning fossil fuels.
Tom’s Climate Change Blog
http://www.tomsclimatechangeblog.com/
I have not had the privilege of communicating with Mr. Snell. I learned of him as a good friend of a good friend of mine. I have heard that he is currently organizing a group visit to a meeting to be arranged with their local Congressperson for out there in Santa Cruz. He is yet another person about whose existence I am very pleased to have learned even if I never meet him. Three thousand miles is a distance, and I have not been traveling much lately.
Here are some background links. Note that the second one contains a collection of links that go back further and collectively contain much information:
sent 12/3/14 "The Ethics of Climate Hope:..." by Naomi Klein December 2, 2014 (+)
11/21/14 Excellent column by Amy Goodman: Keystone, Climate Change and the Cold
love to all,
Larry
* For an update on that work see Wikipedia, Mouse Genome Informatics.
P.S. See Tom’s Climate Change Blog
http://www.tomsclimatechangeblog.com/ :-)
1. I receive email messages from 350.org because I signed up with them. Hopefully you did and do as well. However, just in case you didn't, today, February 13, 2015, is a day of action for people all over the planet called "Global [fossil fuels] Divestment Day," the "action" being divesting and encouraging others to divest from investments in all the fossil fuels industries, "others" being both individuals and institutions. You can go to 350.org (LINK) for details and pictures of what is going on live all over the world and including some on Facebook. There are also suggestions of ways that you can help if you have any time, either a lot of time or just a little bit of time.
2. I was very privileged this morning to discover the website of Mr. Tom Snell of Santa Cruz, California, by way of Mount Desert Island on the coast of northern Maine--his parents were fascinating people too by the way--Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania, to Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, to years as a teacher, to years back in Maine as a software developer (Encyclopedia of the Mouse Genome), receiving with a small team an award for innovative scientific software.* Besides hiking in the Redwoods and walking the shores, Mr. Tom Snell works for his children and grandchildren's future and the future of others like them.
This is part of what Mr. Tom Snell does with his time. His work appears authoritative based upon the work of the 97 percent of climate scientists that agree on what's happening to our world [nasa LINK] including the 40-year-delayed-effects of burning fossil fuels.
Tom’s Climate Change Blog
http://www.tomsclimatechangeblog.com/
I have not had the privilege of communicating with Mr. Snell. I learned of him as a good friend of a good friend of mine. I have heard that he is currently organizing a group visit to a meeting to be arranged with their local Congressperson for out there in Santa Cruz. He is yet another person about whose existence I am very pleased to have learned even if I never meet him. Three thousand miles is a distance, and I have not been traveling much lately.
Here are some background links. Note that the second one contains a collection of links that go back further and collectively contain much information:
sent 12/3/14 "The Ethics of Climate Hope:..." by Naomi Klein December 2, 2014 (+)
11/21/14 Excellent column by Amy Goodman: Keystone, Climate Change and the Cold
love to all,
Larry
* For an update on that work see Wikipedia, Mouse Genome Informatics.
P.S. See Tom’s Climate Change Blog
http://www.tomsclimatechangeblog.com/ :-)